Welcome to Sycamore and Mulberry classes
The teachers in Year 4 are Jennie Owen and Emma Harrison .
- Here is the Spanish overview of the year: Y4 Spanish overview of the year May 2020
- Here is the Music overview for the year: SYCAMORE CLASS and MULBERRY CLASS
- Here is a letter from your teachers about the weeks ahead.
- Year 4 Spelling Words Summer Term 2
- Year 4 Spelling Words Summer Term 1
- Year 4 Spelling Words Spring Term 2
- Year 4 Spelling Words Spring Term
- Year 4 Spelling Words Autumn
- Y4 Spring curriculum newsletter
- Y4 curriculum newsletter 2019
- Here’s What to expect in Year 4
Here is an online safety workshop for parents:
- KS2 powerpoint
- Ages 7-11 – Quick activities
- Zoom leaflet
- Thinkuknow game for 8-10s
- Please ensure that children are supervised when accessing websites.
- Home Learning will be deleted each week.
- Here are some home learning activities using computational thinking.
- There are lots of books being read by teachers in Story Corner – scroll down the page to see the chapter books.
- Here is a parent and child history workshop: Year 4 Tudor
Tuesday July 14th
- YEAR 4 ENGLISH 14.07.2020
- Comprehension answers for 13.07.2020
- Year 4 Spelling
- Y4 MATHS 14.07.2020
- Lesson 3 Answers – Triangles
- Lesson 4 – Quadrilaterals
- YEAR 4 ART 14.07.2020
Monday July 13th
- YEAR 4 ENGLISH 13.07.2020
- Comprehension answers for 9.07.2020
- Y4 MATHS 13.07.2020
- Lesson 2 Answers – Compare and order angles
- Lesson 3 – Triangles
- YEAR 4 ART 13.07.2020
- Article of the Week 10th July 2020 and Article of the Week activities 13th July 2020
- Lesson 12 – Three Songs and the Puppets and The International Space Station
- Lesson 11 –Three Uplifting Songs
- Lesson 10 – Music Matters harmony + Tzena Tzena
- Lesson 9 – How Do Singing Games Work?
- Lesson 8 – Introduction to Singing Games
- Lesson 7 –‘Only If You Try’and Soma Soma 2nd Part
- Lesson 6 – Peace Song harmony, Soma Soma – a song from Kenya
- Lesson 5 – Faster stripes and revision
- Lesson 4 – Peace song (in English and Arabic)
- Lesson 3 – faster rhythms using a box
- Lesson 2 – second music lesson.
- Lesson 1 from Mr Hogan – Year 4 music lesson
Here is some of our home learning.
Elsie has made a video about keeping safe online.
Ms Owen has recorded a message for you.
Our class reporter was Eve. She said: “We have been dividing 100 by one whole or dividing 10 by a whole number. In English we were learning about changing the end of a story like Romeo and Juliet. In art we were drawing the chimneys of a famous artist in Spain called Gaudi. We have been learning about pie charts – how they work and what they do.”
Y4 had a fantastic pyjama party in school!
Our class reporters were Stella, Priyana and Akshana. Stella said: “This week we have been learning about different things like the Tudors, the book The Devil and his Boy and length and perimeter. In the Tudor topic we learnt how Henry VII became king and how the Battle of Bosworth ended. In the Devil and his Boy we each read one paragraph and we had turns explaining what had happened. We are reading this book because it is set in Tudor times. In length and perimeter we were doing word problems where we had a shape and we had to add up the perimeter around the shape. I had a really fun week!”
Priyana and Akshama said: “We have been learning about Henry VIII, Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour. We also learnt that Catherine of Aragon got divorced, Anne Boleyn for exectured and Jane Seymour died because of birth. In PE we are learning about hockey.”
What we have been doing this term:
- Year 4 have been exploring the time of the Tudors focusing on the monarchy and Tudor life. To support this topic, they visited the Tower of London earlier in the term. In DT they also designed and made effective packaging for their Tudor biscuits. In art the children have been studying the work of Spanish artists Dali, Picasso and Gaudi. In English they have been finding out about the plays of Shakespeare, in particular Romeo and Juliet, and have been enjoying ‘The Devil and his Boy’ by Anthony Horowitz.
- Year 4 had a fantastic time at the British Museum. We saw real mummies and other artifacts from Ancient Egypt that were up to 5000 years old. We had a fascinating talk about how the Ancient Egyptians mummified dead bodies and how they can be scanned using new technology to see exactly what they look like without uncovering them.
We have also been very busy during our art lessons creating wood blocks inspired by traditional African prints. We looked at the features of African prints and incorporated them in ours. We used string to create a pattern on our block and then we used the paint and rollers to make them very colourful. We pressed them down on our paper to create wonderful images.
Year 4’s autumn term topic is ‘African Adventure’. The children have explored many aspects of the geography and history of the continent and have focused on Ancient Egypt. They enjoyed their trip to the British Museum in November where they extended their knowledge by investigating the Egypt and Africa exhibits.
In English they have been enjoying the Power of Reading text ‘The Village that Vanished’ and a second book, ‘Fly Eagle Fly’. Year 4 have also enjoyed developing their football skills this term in sessions run by Non-Stop Action.