Welcome to Cedar and Beech classes
The teachers in Year 6 are Alice Biggs (Beech) and Dominic Carini (Cedar).
- Here is what we will be learning about this term: Y6 curriculum letter spring
- Here’s What to expect in Year 6
- Here’s what we looked at last term: Y6 curriculum newsletter 2019-20
- Here are the spellings Y6 will be learning this term: Year 6 Spelling Words Spring Term
- These are the spellings for Y6 did last term: Year 6 Spelling Words Autumn Term 1
- This attachment will show you the Holly Park End of Year 6 Expectations
- These are spellings which Y6 should know this year.
What we have been doing this term:
Beech and Cedar classes have had a great first term in Year 6. The children have been working hard in all subjects and art is no exception! Our focus this term in art has been drawing. The first few lessons were focused on the children becoming more familiar with a range of different sketching techniques before learning how to accurately draw shadows (which linked to our science topic: light). For their end of term focus piece, the children have been working on either a one-point or a two-point perspective drawing – aiming to combine all the skills which they have learnt throughout the unit. The progress over the term has been fantastic to see and some of the final works were outstanding!
The year 6 topic this term is based around World War 2 covering many aspects of this conflict including the Battle of Britain and the Blitz. To support this topic through literacy the children have been reading ‘The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas’. They have also been designing and constructing model Anderson shelters in DT.
Earlier in the term the children enjoyed a visit by The Young Shakespeare Company and took part in a workshop based on Romeo and Juliet. In PE the children have been developing their gymnastics and football skills in sessions run by Non-Stop Action.