Welcome to Chestnut and Pine classes
The teachers in Year 1 are Sharon Casey and Xenoulla Thrasyvoulou (Pine) and Emma Fitzpatrick (Chestnut).
- Here is our Y1 letter to parents for spring term
- Here’s What to expect in Year 1
- Here is what we will be learning about this term: Y1 curriculum newsletter Autumn
- Please ensure that children are supervised when accessing websites.
- Home Learning will be deleted each week.
Miss Michael has set this quiz about Children’s Rights
How to play Kahoot – Children’s Rights
- From a laptop or tablet, click on the link below and play as guest. this will enter you into the game and display a PIN
- Download the kahoot app on a mobile phone, open it and click on the button which says ‘got a PIN?’
- Enter the pin from step 1 above into the mobile app and choose a nickname
- Go back to the laptop where you will see that you have now joined the game (your nickname will be displayed) and click start
Here is a youtube video to help you get set up.
You can play the game alone or as a family – the more people playing, the more fun it is as you can compete against each other.
You can play more than one game all about Children’s Rights.
Good luck. I got 10 out of 10 questions right. What about you?
Have fun playing. And please take photographs of you (and your family) playing then send them to Mrs Pelham on her email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our class reporters were Krissy and Nazif. Krissy said: “This week we have been learning about the book ‘Nobody owns the Sky.’ We have been learning about adding and taking away.”
Nazif said: “We have been learning about maths and English. In maths we had to write numbers from 0 to 50. We had to use ones and tens and join them together. Then we had a DT workshop we had to design a model with certain materials. Then it was maths day we had to go on a trail across the school.”
Our class reporter was Tyler: “We went to TES offices by coach. We did activities, we did a treasure hunt to look for things in the offices and we had lunch and we went to school.”
This is what we have been doing this term:
- The Year One children started 2020 by learning their dances for their first Infant Show; all of the children did a great job in the show. Chestnut Class have been involved in a project run by the National Literacy Trust. They visited the TES offices in Holborn and were encouraged to see literacy in a workplace setting. The children did a treasure hunt and shared a book about different occupations with the employees of the TES. After the trip, a box of role play equipment was sent to school to continue the learning and to encourage the writing process in different aspects of life eg writing a shopping list, making a plan for a building etc. The project will be completed by inviting parents in to see the work we have been doing.
Year One have focused on the books Mrs Armitage on Wheels and Mr Gumpy’s Motor Car. These stories have been linked to their learning project of ‘how things work’. The children enjoyed adapting the stories in their own writing. They have been working on Phase Five of Letters and Sounds and have been reading the Phase Five books from the Active Learn scheme as part of the daily Whole Class Guided Reading sessions.
In maths, they have been learning about adding and subtracting to 20, including exploring the relationship between addition and subtraction. The children are now ready to move onto place value to fifty later in the Spring term.
- Year One have been learning about People who help us inside our school, inside our homes and in the wider community. We were really lucky to have a visit from the fire fighters from Southgate Fire Station who brought their fire engine and equipment to show the children. Each child was lucky enough to sit in the back of the fire engine while they learnt all about the equipment that is needed to be a fire fighter, such as helmets, gloves, jackets and oxygen tanks. They were shown how the hoses are used and where they are stored and they saw how the ladders are kept and pulled out when they are needed. It was a great morning and the children loved it. The looks on their faces were priceless. The children have written thank you letters to the fire fighters and we are going to send them off.
Year One’s Learning Project has been ‘All About Me’. In Literacy, the focus was labels, lists and captions and the children wrote captions to accompany pictures that they drew of themselves, their family and things they can do. They also wrote lists linking with history, comparing toys for babies and toys for children.
The children are currently learning about traditional tales and the focus has been on The Gingerbread Man and The Little Red Hen. In Maths, the focus has been numbers to ten. This has included addition, subtraction, part whole models, bar models, number bonds and fact families.
The children are now in a good place to move onto numbers to twenty in the coming weeks. We have been learning a lot about colour mixing and primary and secondary colours. We have looked at famous artists such as Mondrian. When looking at portraits we have looked at Paul Klee and Picasso. We have also focused on collage which linked in with our science of senses and talk a lot about texture.
In geography we have been talking about mapping and have looked at aerial photographs of the Infant Playground. The children have also been trying to draw a birds-eye view. We have linked our science and have also been looking at deciduous and evergreen trees and have started to talk about weather patterns with the different seasons.