Our Design Technology Intent
‘Good buildings come from good people, and all problems are solved by good design.’ Stephen Gardiner
Design and Technology is a practical and rigorous subject which helps pupils to think about and respond to the rapidly changing world around them. Through the teaching of the two strands: ‘designing and making’ and ‘cooking and nutrition’ it encourages pupils to explore possibilities and solutions to real life and relevant problems within a range of different contexts.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” Thomas Edison, inventor
“All sorts of things can happen when you’re open to new ideas and playing around with things.” Stephanie Kwolek, inventor
- At Holly Park the products being designed and made by the children will have a clear purpose, which will be motivating and inspiring.
- Cross curricular links will be made wherever possible to help deepen children’s understanding of key concepts.
- The study of past and existing products will help to develop children’s critical thinking skills, as they will be expected to evaluate impact and effectiveness.
- Children will be responding with their own opinions and creative ideas enabling them to become problem solvers and innovators both individually and as part of a team.
- Originality and imaginative thinking will be celebrated.
- Teaching and learning will occur in a safe and positive environment where children feel comfortable to become risk takers, learn from mistakes and feel empowered to test and change strategies when needed.
- Children will have the opportunity to use a range of tools and resources that will develop their skills and technical knowledge so that they feel confident when designing and creating their own products.
- They will be able to select materials and ingredients according to their characteristics. Through this process, they will gain an understanding of the importance of safety procedures and good health and hygiene routines.
- Developing, planning & communicating ideas
They will also develop their knowledge and understanding of:
- Sheet materials (mechanisms)
DT is a subject that lends itself well to a class topic and so frequently, you see other subjects ‘come to life’ through DT.
There is a clear progression of skills in every strand of DT.
Please see our progression of skills documents attached in DT for:
- Progression in DT skills EYFS
- Progression in DT skills KS1
- Progression in DT skills Lower KS2
- Progression in DT skills Upper KS2
Developing DT vocabulary is also very important. Here is a progression of vocabulary development: DT Vocabulary progression
Here are some resources to help you learn more at home: