Welcome to Hazel and Willow classes
The teachers in Year 3 are Neil Bourne (Hazel Class) and Eve Mehtar (Willow Class)
- Here are the spellings for this half term: Year 3 Spelling Words Spring Term 2
- Here is what we will be learning about this term: Y3 Spring curriculum newsletter 2020
- Here’s What to expect in Year 3
- Here’s what we looked at last term: Y3 curriculum newsletter 2019
- Here are the spellings Y3 will be learning this term: Year 3 Spelling Words Spring Term 1
- Here are the spellings we looked at last term: Year 3 Spelling Words Autumn Term 1
- Please ensure that children are supervised when accessing websites.
- Home Learning will be deleted each week.
We hope you are all doing well and have been managing to get on with the work we have set you. We know that some of you have been finding the reading quite hard, so this week we would like to try something different.
First Aid – we have been learning some First Aid.
Trip to Mount Anvil Construction Company
Children in Year 3 were invited to a challenge day at the Mount Anvil development project in Whitechapel to learn about the company and the world of construction. The children worked in teams with volunteers from the company to design and build a model of a tower block that would meet the needs of a range of potential residents.
They also had the opportunity to visit the viewing platform on the site, and learn about some of the jobs in the construction industry from planners, surveyors and architects to crane drivers and bricklayers. One boy was very interested in the crane drivers job and thought this was something he might enjoy doing when he is older as he likes heights.
Our class reporter was Matthew: “We have been learnings about making an art centre in Enabling Enterprise; dividing 2 digit numbers by 1 digit numbers; writing present perfect tense sentence, how the Roman invasion was useful in Britain and reading My Monster and Me in PSHE. We also presented an assembly about the Romans and Boudicca.”
Our class reporter was Grace. “In Spanish we have been learning about the months for example I was born on quince Agosto which is August the 15th. In DT we have been painting Roman shields. In music we have been learning how to say pattern words, for example pentagon means 5 sides. In maths we have been dividing by 3 for example three divided by three equals one and also in maths we have been learning about the three times table. We have also been rehearsing for our assembly about Romans.”
Nativity – what a fantastic Nativity! You can see pictures here.
What we have been doing this year:
- At the beginning of the spring term Year 3 completed their topic on rocks and soils with a further visit from Geobus. They then began studying their main topic this term: The Romans and their influence in Britain. The children in year 3 wrote and produced class assemblies that were both informative and entertaining demonstrating their knowledge of the Romans in Britain. They will take part in a Roman workshop led by ‘History off the Page’ after Easter. They have continued their morning runs around the playground circuit and have started swimming lessons.
- Year Three’s major topic last term was the Stone, Bronze and Iron ages . They have been learning about the Animals , Tools, Homes and Art. The topic was reinforced with a trip to the Museum of London where the children got to see and learn about various Artefacts from Pre history, these included, weapons, jewellery and the first coins. The children and staff had a great time and learnt a lot.
In science they have been learning about rocks and magnets. To tie in with this the children have taken part in a science curriculum day on rocks and fossils run by GeoBus. They have also had a series of gymnastics sessions run by Non-Stop Action as part of their indoor PE curriculum. Year 3 will soon be rehearsing for their nativity show at the end of term.
National Y3 Tate Project
Holly Park Primary School is one of over 1,500 London primary schools involved in the Tate Year 3 Project, one of the world’s most ambitious contemporary art projects. Explored through the vehicle of the traditional school class photograph, a vast new art work is one of the most ambitious portraits of children ever undertaken in the UK.
Year 3 have been working with a Coach from Non Stop Action doing Gymnastics on the apparatus.
The children in Year have been looking at the work of artist Andy Goldsworthy who uses natural materials to create pieces of art. The children collected their own natural materials and made their own pieces of art using them.