Here is a selection of websites which you may find useful. Please note these are external websites that have been recommended to us.
Here is a directory of family support offered by Barnet
If you have any other suggestions, or if you find any are unsuitable or not working, please contact Mrs Thomas via the school office.
Support during Coronavirus
There is a lot of advice available about returning to school:
- Support for going back to school
- A Back to School booklet
- A toolkit for parents
- Tips for returning to school
- Support for children
- Here is some helpful information about returning to school
- Here’s a useful video about going back to school.
Here are lots of links to resources to help you and your family during the Coronavirus crisis:
- Resilience for parents
- See some of Dr Radha’s Wellbeing Tips
- You can listen to a book about mental health awareness called Bag of Worries here.
- Here is a very useful Wellbeing Resource Zone
- Katherine Rundell launches “The Book of Hopes”; free children’s book by over 110 authors and illustrators. To comfort, inspire and entertain children in lock down
- This book offers support to children who are feeling worried by Coronavirus and the sudden changes it has brought to their lives
- A great resource for helping children to deal with feelings about the virus
Here is some useful information for families and wellbeing:
- Here is some help with well being and mental health.
- Here is some NHS help about keeping mentally well at home
- The charity Mind has help and advice about Coronavirus
Here is a new ebook for children about the virus.
- Information for children
- Staying healthy – information sheet for parents
- Talking to your child about scary news.
Here are more helpful websites to use to talk to your children:
- Literacy Trust family zone
- A child’s guide to coronavirus.
- Looking after your family’s mental health
- A video giving advice on helping children during the lock down.
- Government support about mental health at this time
Here are some more useful websites:
Here are some activities to do:
You are invited to join the Parent Gym: Parenting Through Uncertainty Facebook group, to share stories, thoughts, tips and ideas on how we are managing to adjust to this challenging period in our lives. You are very welcome to join the group whether or not you have attended a Parent Gym programme in the past. This invitation also extends to parents outside our school, so if you would like to share with friends please do; we’re all there to support each other.
Click on the link below: https://bit.ly/3bCij7D
Parent Gym is a well-established, six-week programme that shares and explores practical tips and strategies to make family life easier and help your children thrive. It is run in school by a trained coach and covers the following topics:
- Chat Help your family talk and listen to each other
- Love Build self-esteem and independence through secure attachments
- Behave Bring calm and order to your home
- Care Looking after ourselves and our families
- Discover Support your children to learn and explore
- Together Look to the future and recapping key techniques
Barnet Adult Carers – support for anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support.
Contact: 020 8343 9698 or email email@example.com
Barnet Young Carers – support for children and young people caring for a parent or sibling
Contact: 020 8432 2092 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Home-Start Barnet –Trained volunteers – usually parents themselves – visit families in their homes and provide informal, friendly and confidential support covering a range of areas.
Contact: 020 8371 0674 or email email@example.com
Young Minds gives advice on how to help your child with specific mental health conditions, and life events which might be negatively affecting their wellbeing. and where to get help.
One Stop Shop – a free drop-in service for male and female victims of domestic violence.
Contact: 020 8359 4797
Barnet Solace Advocacy and Support Service – free and confidential advice and support for women in London affected by abuse
Contact: 020 8733 4113
National Domestic Violence Helpline – free, 24 hour helpline
Contact: 0808 2000 247
Men’s Advice Line – support for male victims of domestic violence
Contact: 080 8801 0327
RISE is an innovative staff-led mutual that designs and delivers behavioural change programmes and new approaches. Our work can be used in the criminal justice system and community to transform the lives of individuals, families and communities.
In order to create safe communities, RISE empowers people to break their cycle of harmful behaviour and develop better relationships with their families and society. A large part of this is through our work in tackling domestic violence and abuse.
Sweet – supporting women into employment, enterprise and training
Contact: 020 7266 8254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Support Services
Turn2us – links to sources of information and advice on benefits, housing, jobs, legal issues and other practical help
Outreach Barnet – a short-term support service that works with people who have housing related support needs
Contact: 020 3115 1185
Welfare Rights – for parents of children under 5
Contact: 020 8359 6135 or email: email@example.com
WDP – a drug and alcohol charity committed to helping those who are affected by substance misuse
Contact: 0300 303 2866 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Barnet Refugee Service – a charity working with individuals and agencies to improve the quality of life and promote the physical, social and mental well-being of refugees and asylum seekers.
Contact: 020 8905 9002 or email: email@example.com
Children’s centres are a place where you can enjoy a variety of activities with your child in a friendly and relaxed environment. Courses, advice and a range of services are available to parents and carers with a child under 5.
Please phone or check your local centres website for details of current provision.
Coppetts Wood Children’s Centre, Coppetts Road, N10 1JS 020 8883 2985
Hampden Way Children’s Centre, Hampden Way, Southgate, N14 5DJ 020 8368 2131
Newstead Children’s Centre, 1 Fallows Close (off Tarling Road) Finchley N12 8LG 020 8359 3460
Underhill Children’s Centre, Mays Lane, Barnet EN5 2LZ 020 8359 3440
Here are details of the Unitas Youth Zone: Unitas promotional flyer
Kooth, from XenZone, is a free, safe and online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people, accessible through mobile, tablet and desktop and free at the point of use.
Barnet Mencap can offer a range of support and events for children and adults with autism or a learning disability, and their families, who live in the London Borough of Barnet.
Phone: 020 8349 3842
0-19 Early Help Hubs
All families face challenges and sometimes need support. Early Help is about providing this support as soon as possible to tackle difficulties for children, young people and families before they become more serious. We work with the whole family and the child / young person is at the centre of all we do.
Working with partners, Barnet’s 0-19 Service provides help and support to families, children and young people up to the age of 19 (or 25 with a disability). We aim to:
- Provide the right help first time that meets identified needs
- Improve outcomes for children and young people
- Prevent the escalation of issues that would then require statutory intervention.