We have several choirs which are run by Terry Hogan. Children also have the opportunity to learn musical instruments with visiting teachers.
- Infant Choir – any child in Years 1 and 2 may join this choir. We expect full commitment for the year. The choir meets after school on Thursdays.
- Junior Choir – any child in Year 3-6 may join this choir. The choir meets at Assembly time on Wednesdays.
- Barnabas Choir – this is an ‘auditioned choir’ for children in Years 3-6. Year 5/6 pupils form ‘Chamber Choir’.
- Instrumental tuition – children may learn to play violin, ‘cello, trumpet, trombone, drum kit, tablas, descant recorder, flute, clarinet, saxophone and guitar.
- The annual concert cycle – Our ‘Candlelight Concert’ involves Infant and Barnabas Choirs and is based around Christmas carols, supplemented with other religious festivals of light occurring at this time of year, such as Hanukkah and Divali. We include a song in Arabic, too.
- The annual ‘Instrumental Tuition Concert’ in February involves the pupils who are learning a musical instrument at school as well as performances from our Wind Band, String Ensemble and Rock Band. Here are some pictures of our instrumental concert.
- Infant Choir performs at the Barnet Infant Music Festival in November, the ‘Candlelight Concert’ and at our own Infant Choir Concert in May,
- Junior Choir performs at the ‘Three Choirs Concert’ in July.
- Barnabas and Chamber Choirs perform at the ‘Candlelight Concert’, the ‘Three choirs Concert and the ‘Two Choirs Concert’ in July.
- HPS involvement in the Barnet Music Festival – Mr Hogan works with the borough’s Music Adviser to plan, arrange, record the songs, train the pupils (and teachers) across the borough and conduct at the performances for both the Barnet Infant Music Festival in November and the Barnet Schools’ Music Festival in June at the Artsdepot theatre.
- We are frequently called upon to produce a choir to perform at special borough events and events London-wide or nationwide. These have included performances at the Royal Albert Hall, The Dorchester Hotel and on TV programmes such as the ‘Terry and Gabby Show’ and the BBC’s ‘Children in Need’. We have performed ‘Henry V’ by William Walton with the Royal Orchestral Society.
Here are some of our children making music!