The staff in Palm Class are Mrs Moore (Miss Georgiou), Mrs Walton, Miss Klanga and Miss Rush
(In 2017-18 the staff in Palm Class will be Mrs Moore, Mrs Walton, Mrs Bawcombe, Miss Yiannakki, Miss Klanga and Miss Rush)
Here is a presentation about the curriculum in Reception.
This is what the children in Reception will be learning in the Summer term
This term Palm Class have continued to work really hard at developing their phonic skills and they have really enjoyed feeding the Phonic Monster with sentences that have digraph and trigraph words. They have also been busy reading alien words and using their `robot` arms to write party invitations and letters to their family as part of our `Challenge of the Week`.
Palm Class were very excited when they spotted some wolf footprints in the classroom and were very keen to make posters letting everyone know that there was a big bad wolf on the loose! They have also enjoyed acting out the traditional story of `Little Red Riding Hood` with puppets and props and have used the Interactive Whiteboard to read the story independently.
Here’s what we did for maths week in Reception:
- Children using the tap tap area to explore shape
- Investigating height with metre sticks
- Playing ‘Race to Count’ (number recognition, addition skills, understanding of more and less)
- Writing our own ‘The Shopping Basket’ stories, which has also helped develop our subtraction skills by using real fruit to act out animals stealing the fruit and finding ways of representing ( mark making/writing number sentences).
After reading the classic story `The Tiger Who Came To Tea` Palm Class got very interested in café role play, so we all decided to visit a real café! We had a great time at Boyden’s Café. We enjoyed our snacks and spent time finding out what different jobs people do in cafes.
We got so excited that we decided to create our very own Palm Class Café. We have called it the `Friends’ Café` and we all have jobs to do. Why not come and visit us for a nice healthy snack!
Our Y6 Digital Leaders have been going round the school to find out what the children are doing. Here are their reports:
- Reception have been feeding the ‘phonics monster’ with their phonics words. Also they have been making a cafe, they brought in ingredients from home and made a mini cafe. Some children had different jobs like waiters/waitresses,shopkeepers and visitors.
- The children have enjoyed running around the playground while getting fit and healthy. They have enjoyed building tall towers made out of Lego. In maths they have been counting up to large numbers and recognising different shapes. The children liked writing letters to their families and imaginary characters they have made up. They have also been working very hard on their handwriting.
Our Cultural Day focused on the rights of freedom of expression, views and beliefs. During our Cultural Day we celebrated the wide variety of cultural backgrounds in Palm Class. We found out about the similarities and differences between ourselves. We dressed up in special clothes and got to try some tasty treats from different parts of the world. During the day we had lots of fun doing different activities such as flag making, designing mehndi patterns and rolling chapati dough.
Here’s what we have been doing this term.
PTA Reception Family Evening
The Reception Family Evening was a lovely event. Families got to meet each other. The children played together and the adults chatted. A lovely sociable event where everyone enjoyed tasty fish and chips and ended up playing in the infant playground. Thank you to the PTA for organising it.